This salad is inspired by a salad I had in Vegas a couple years ago at the Treasure Island Casino. I had the Chipotle Barbequed Chicken Salad at Isla with my co-residents after the residency showcase. It was different than any other Mexican salad I had ever had. This one had a cilantro ranch dressing and barbequed chicken – It was pretty tasty. When we got home I tried to re-make that salad. Over time the salad has morphed into the salad dressing recipe below and whatever else we have on-hand that sounds good. This is an especially good salad to make when we have leftover barbequed or taco flavored meat on hand.
One thing we found is that we really despise cleaning cilantro. So I tend to keep a tube of cilantro paste in the fridge instead and it works well.
Mix-ins for this salad Matt and I have tried:
- Shredded cheese or feta cheese
- Black beans
- Corn (we normally heat up a little frozen corn for this)
- Sliced black olives
- Chopped bell pepper
- Crushed tortilla chips (gives the salad a nice crunch)
- Whatever else you have on hand that sounds good!
Caution, I don’t actually measure this, it’s an approximation, but I think this is close and can easily be adjusted to be thickened (add mayo or sour cream) or thinned (add lemon juice) to your liking.
This is enough for a salad for me and Matt.
- A large spoonful light mayo (Around 2 Tbsp)
- A large spoonful light sour cream (Around 2 Tbsp)
- A squirt of lemon juice
- A pinch of garlic powder
- 2-3 scallions sliced
- 1 jalapeno with seeds removed diced
- A dollop of the cilantro paste (About 2-3 tsp)
- A pinch of salt and pepper
Mix all ingredients in a food processor (a small one works better for this if you have one). Blend and scrape down sides several times until it is smooth. Dress your shredded lettuce with a desired amount of dressing and your chosen mix-ins.